Greetings from Kripa! In our previous post, we had started our discussion on treatment for substance abuse addiction.
Here are some important principles which should form the foundation of an effective treatment program. As a parent, friend or caretaker of the patient, its important for you to know these principles to understand the scope and limitations of the treatment.
- Addiction being a complex but treatable disease that affects brain function and behavior in individuals, no single treatment is right for everyone. There is no ‘one size fits all’ approach.
- Quick access to treatment will ensure faster results and better outcomes. Treatment need not always be voluntary, forced intervention by the family may be necessary at times.
- Holistic treatment will address all of the patients needs, not just drug use. Any underlying mental disorders will also be assessed and treated.
- Treatment includes Counseling and Behavioral Therapies also.
- Medications are an important part of treatment, combined with behavioral therapies.
- Screening and ruling out other illnesses like HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, and other infectious diseases must be done.
- A long enough treatment will ensure the path to recovery. Treatment plans must be reviewed often and modified to fit the patient’s changing needs.
- Medically assisted detoxification is only the first stage of treatment.
- Relapse may occur after treatment. However, the patient must be encouraged to overcome his affliction and all support extended to nudge him towards recovery.
For treatment on substance abuse disorders, don’t delay calling Kripa Revival Centre on 9845310070 for someone you know who needs treatment. Your decision can make all the difference! Call now!